Club History

Altrusa International was founded in Nashville, Tennessee in 1917, originally as Altrusa Institute. During that time, a record number of women were going to work during World War I, and there was a need for women’s civic organizations. Dr. Alfred Durham, a member of Kiwanis, began organizing clubs throughout Nashville, TN, Louisville, KY, and Dayton, OH, before he moved on to Indianapolis, IN, where he met Mamie L. Bass.

Mamie L. Bass had served as the Superintendent of the Women’s Division of the United States Employment Services, and was a partner in her brother’s architecture firm. She also assisted him in organizing a Rotary chapter in Indianapolis. While she admired Dr. Durham’s Institute, Bass felt that Altrusa could serve a higher purpose. In June 1918, when Altrusa held its first convention in Indianapolis, Mamie L. Bass’s vision became reality. The Altrusa Institute became a classified service organization for women.

Later, the Altrusa Institute was renamed as the National Association of Altrusa Clubs and adopted By-Laws that laid the groundwork for today’s Altrusans. Soon after, Mamie L. Bass created the Principles of Altrusa which defined Altrusa as "a builder of women" and an organization based on merit and accomplishment. The Principles were officially adopted in 1921 along with a major club building effort. By 1922, Altrusa had 20 clubs.

In 1935, Altrusa became international when the first club in Mexico was organized. Since that first step over US borders in 1935, Altrusa moved into Puerto Rico, Chile, Ecuador, Mexico, India, Korea, Russia, Ukraine, Ireland, Great Britain, Bermuda, Canada, and New Zealand. In 1946, Altrusa sent its first representative to the United Nations.

In 1962, Altrusa International established the Altrusa International Foundation, which is dedicated to improving economic well-being and quality of life through a commitment to community services and literacy. In 1966, the organization began to look to America’s youth as the future of Altrusa and established ASTRA service clubs. ASTRA encourages young people, ages 13 to 21, to participate in community service. Expanding on its commitment to youth, Altrusa adopted literacy as on-going area of service in 1977.

The eighties and nineties brought many exciting changes to Altrusa. With the end of Communism, the former Soviet Union saw its first Altrusa clubs. Increasing its global outlook, Altrusa expanded projects beyond literacy and education by adopting a resolution to promote environmental concerns in 1989.

The new millennium continues to bring new ideas and opportunities for Altrusa. In 2011, the association launched a new branding and marketing campaign with the purpose of increasing Altrusa’s image in the communities, and reaching out to an evolving membership.

Kitty has been a member of Lake City Altrusa since 2000. She is the Governor-Elect for Altrusa District Three for the 2017-19 biennium. She retired from the Columbia County School District as an Assistant Superintendent after forty-one years in education.  She serves on External Review teams for AdvancEd accreditation, both in and out of state, for both schools and systems.  Kitty is also Chairperson of the Take Stock in Children Board, a member of the Partnership for Strong Families Board and Second Vice-Regent for the Edward Rutledge Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. Kitty is married to Frank, has one son and daughter-in law and two awesome grandchildren.

Altrusa International of Lake City, Florida, Inc.

Club History

Altrusa International of Lake City was charter assigned by international on April 28, 1982. The charter Banquet was held Saturday, May 24, 1982 at 7:30 PM at Quail Heights Country Club sponsored by Altrusa International of Gainesville. Gainesville Altrusans Sarah M. Brown, Jane Sterret, Elizabeth Turlington and Winfred Dobson along with Vera Ireland, District Three Governor, lerd the evenings celebration. The Honorable Mayor Gereld Witt welcomed Altrusa of Lake City as Columbia County Commission Chairman Aldine Feagle spoke words of congratulations.
Donate Now
Your help makes a real difference
Get Involved
Improves lives in your community
Altrusa In Action
Affecting communities like yours
Copyright (c) 2018 Altrusa International, Inc. All rights reserved.
One North LaSalle St., Suite 1955, Chicago, IL 60602 • 1-312-427-4410 • altrusa@altrusa.org